Are you looking to buy a bike for a tall person? It can be a challenge but we made a list of 7 of the best bikes for tall people for you to check out.
My brother has been looking for the best bike for him for a long time. He is 6’1, so getting a good bike for his height isn’t easy. That is why I decided to do some research to get him the best one. With a fast, strong, and durable bike, he would be able to go back to cycling.
Getting a bike for a tall person needs a lot of research because it is not a standard bike. For someone tall, you need to get a bike that is 23” inches or larger. You should make sure that you are comfortable while riding with the handlebars a comfortable distance from your body.
- 1 7 best bikes for tall people – A Comparison Table
- 2 7 best bikes for tall people – How do they differ?
- 2.1 Diamondback Sync’r- Best hand-built bike for tall riders
- 2.2 Specs
- 2.3 Pros
- 2.4 Cons
- 2.5 Verdict
- 2.6 Raleigh Bikes Kodiak 2- Best downhill bike
- 2.7 Specs
- 2.8 Pros
- 2.9 Cons
- 2.10 Verdict
- 2.11 Diamondback Release 3 – lightweight mountain bike
- 2.12 The Gravity 2020FSX 2.0 – Dual suspension mountain bike
- 2.13 Diamondback Overdrive Hardtail- Best budget mountain bike
- 2.14 Mongoose Status 2.2- Ideal mountain bike for both men and women
- 2.15 Cons
- 2.16 Verdict
- 2.17 Schwinn Protocol 1.0- Mountain bike with dual suspension
- 2.18 Pros
- 3 What to consider when buying a mountain bike for tall riders
- 4 Conclusion
7 best bikes for tall people – A Comparison Table
Raleigh Bikes Kodiak 2 bike
Diamondback Release 3
The 2020 Gravity FSX Bike
Diamondback Overdrive Hardtail bike
Mongoose Status 2.2
Schwinn Protocol 1.0
7 best bikes for tall people – How do they differ?
Diamondback Sync’r- Best hand-built bike for tall riders
- Aluminum frame with progressive geometry for trail riding performance
- Rocks ox Recon RL 130mm travel suspension fork takes Care of the hits
Diamondback bicycles are very versatile which has led to its wide use and popularity. The Diamondback Sync’r is a quality bike that is ideal for tall cyclists. It is a good bike for long rides and hard trails
- 130mm suspension forks
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Aluminum frame
- Tire size 27.5”
This is a high-end mountain bike with a strong frame made from aluminum. The frame is durable without being too heavy. With this bike, you can easily ride downhill and through challenging trails too.
The suspension system on this bike lets you enjoy your rides without getting too tired. It has powerful brakes that come to a stop immediately you want. The chain on this bike is fitted so that you can feel the power whenever you pedal. With a comfortable saddle, you will be sure to enjoy your ride.
- The Rocks ox Recon RL suspension fork provides good stability while cycling.
- It has quality Shimano Mt500 hydraulic disc brakes that stop on a dime
- The frame comes with a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.
- The brakes are prone to overheating.
The Diamondback Sync’r bike is durable, and comfortable with powerful brakes for mountain biking. The geometry of this bike, it makes it ideal for taller women who want to get into mountain biking.
Raleigh Bikes Kodiak 2- Best downhill bike
- Sizing: s=5'3-5'6", m=5'6"-5'9", l=5'9"-6', xl=6'-6'4"
- Designed for riding Rooty, rocky, mountain trails with serious suspension
The Raleigh bike Kodiak 2 is an affordable full suspension bike for tall riders out there. The XL version of this bike is ideal for heights between 6’ to 6’4. It is well designed for riding on the mountain, and rocky trails.
- Alloy Frame
- Sizes S-XL
- Wheel size 27.5”
The hydraulic disc brakes on this bike provide the best stopping power for whatever weather condition. The tires also add more volume for a better overall suspension feel. Because this bike is great for the hard trail, it comes with a dual suspension to make it more comfortable.
The Raleigh Kodiak 2 has a chainring that offers great gear ratio for cycling up and downhills. This bike is easy to assemble and comes with a warranty on the frame.
- The rear suspensions easily swallow bumps and give better handling to the cyclist.
- The rims and 27.5 plus tires give more traction on the trail and better handling.
- It arrives partially assembled and 120 minutes to fully assemble the bike.
- It is slightly heavier than most bikes
This is a stylish yet simple bike that is reliable when mountain biking on any terrain. The Raleigh Kodiak 2 mountain bike is ideal for tall riders and is comfortable enough for you to enjoy your ride.
Diamondback Release 3 – lightweight mountain bike
- Level Link design equals 130mm of efficient yet supple rear suspension
- Boost 148x12mm Maxle dropout adds even more stiffness to the hydro formed aluminum frame
The Diamondback Release 3 is a full suspension bike that comes in a range of sizes from S-XL. It has a beautiful design and is said to be an all-terrain mountain bike. The carbon frame is strong and durable.
- Level link suspension design
- 148x12mm thru-axle
- 425mm chainstay length
- 150mm forks
When buying a Diamondback bike you are assured of quality. The Diamondback Release 3 is lightweight and great for climbing hills and going downhill. This frame is great for attaching cameras if you like capturing footage while cycling.
This bike comes almost entirely assembled so you don’t need to do much before you start cycling. It is more affordable compared to other high-end performance bikes. With the features on this bike, it is definitely worth the price.
- The carbon frame is stiff and lightweight
- It has enough gearing to properly handle steep climbs
- The hydraulic brake is simple and smooth to use.
- It does not have spacers so the rear shock may bottom out on certain trails.
Despite the weight, you can ride this bike comfortably through rough terrains. The Diamondback Release 3 is one of the best bikes for tall riders and it’s comfortable too.
The Gravity 2020FSX 2.0 – Dual suspension mountain bike
- Disc Brakes Front and Rear, Strong and Durable Aluminum Frames
- Easy to Use Shimano Shifters
The Gravity 2020FSX 2.0 is one of the best bikes for tall riders. The 21” size is their largest and fits riders who are 6’1 and above. This is a very lightweight and quality bike for tall riders.
- Frame 21”
- Adjustable suspension
- Aluminum tubing
This bike is available in many colors for you to choose from. It uses 26” wheels so it might be lower than other bikes with 29” wheels. It is very fast and great handling for off-road biking.
It is a good looking bike and is not too heavy for cyclists. The bike frame is of high quality and comes well packaged. The gears and shifting work well so this bike offers you great value for your money.
- The front and rear suspension on this bike are adjustable.
- This bike is strong and durable
- The front and rear have quick-release wheels
- The tires are not the best.
- There is no kickstand on this bike.
The Gravity 2020FSX 2.0 is an affordable yet quality bike for tall cyclists. The frame is made of aluminum so it will fit you if you are 6’1 and over. You won’t regret buying this bike if you are a tall cyclist.
Diamondback Overdrive Hardtail- Best budget mountain bike
- Hand-built 6061 aluminum frame is light and strong. Boost 148 spacing and rear thru-axle reduce frame flex
- RockShox Judy Silver fork is stiff, plush, and a perfect complement to our aluminum chassis
The Diamondback bike is hand-built with an aluminum alloy frame that is durable and great hard trail and mountain biking. The 27.5-inch wheels on this bike rollover smoothly obstacles.
- 5 wheels
- 3 gears in front, 8 in the back
- Frame made of aluminum alloy
- 80mm of suspension travel
This is a hardtail bike so you don’t need to do a lot of tuning to it. The good thing about this bike is you can still adjust the front suspension. The brakes are good for the budget price of this bike.
This bike is good for riding all day. The brakes on this bike are decent and it has a stylish finish to make it look better. There is a short rear triangle on the XC that helps you clear obstacles when cycling.
- The combined gears offer combined 24 speeds that you can choose from.
- The butted tubing is lightweight and stiff for better handling and stability.
- The assembly is simple and not too complicated
- The saddle isn’t the best.
The Diamondback Overdrive is another quality hard trail bike from diamondback bicycles. It is durable, lightweight, and performs well in most terrains. The large size is comfortable for tall cyclists.
Mongoose Status 2.2- Ideal mountain bike for both men and women
The Mongoose Status 2.2 is a great quality bike with an aluminum frame. It comes with hydroformed tubing and strong front suspension fork which is reliable and strong. Here are some of its features.
- 5 x 27.01 x 8.5 inches
- 26-inch wheels
- Available in 2 colors
If you are looking for a good and fun bicycle to ride through the tough terrains, this is the one for you. The tires on this bike are 26 inches are can roll over most obstacles even when cycling in the mud or dirt.
The wheel rims are made of alloy which makes them more durable compared to other bikes. It also handles sudden impacts from jumping or stopping. It is also equipped with 21-speed levels which are standard to find on most mountain bikes.
- The alloy rims are very light and durable
- The rear and front brakes make sure you stop immediately on the trail
- It is smoother to change gears on this bike because of the 21 speeds and the Shimano rear derailleur.
- Weighs over 40 pounds
- The seat is not the most comfortable
With this bike, you can ride anywhere for as long as you want. Mongoose Status 2.2 is an affordable bike that is comfortable to ride for tall people. You won’t regret buying this bike for cycling.
Schwinn Protocol 1.0- Mountain bike with dual suspension
If you are looking for a bike that you will enjoy as a tall cyclist, this is the one for you. With a dual suspension aluminum frame, this bike is lightweight and will roll over smoothly over bumps and obstacles on the terrain
- Weighs 43 pounds
- 2-speed levels
- Aluminum frame
The switch alloy crank on this bike offers optimal gearing and you don’t have to do much to maintain it. The front disc brake and rear alloy brakes are good for stopping in any condition. The dependable brake system on this bike makes it safe to ride on most terrains.
For better comfort for tall riders, this bike comes with an adjustable saddle. The saddle has a quick-release mechanism to make the best height adjustments when riding. This bike can also supper heavy cyclists.
- The front suspension is good for reliable and responsive cycling.
- The 2 speed Shimano EX shifters and the rear derailleur offer a wide gear range.
- The alloy rims are strong and lightweight for durable riding.
- The shifters do not have a gear indicator.
If you buy the Schwinn Protocol 1.0, you will enjoy mountain biking. This bike has an adjustable saddle for comfortability and proper height adjustment for tall cyclists. It is a durable and lightweight bike that is worth the price.
What to consider when buying a mountain bike for tall riders
Because of the height requirements, there is more you should consider when buying a mountain bike for tall users.
The size of the mountain bike you are buying is the most important to consider. For tall riders, you might feel comfortable at first but then after a few days of cycling, it gets uncomfortable. To solve this problem, most bike manufacturers provide size guidelines so that you get the best fit for you.
For a tall person, the best bike size is usually 23” and above. For tall riders, you should ensure that the saddle is comfortable and you can comfortably pedal with the handlebars being a good distance away from your body. You should be able to ride your bike comfortably without having to hunch over the whole time.
When you are getting a bicycle for a tall cyclist, you should also consider the adjustments you can make to it. An adjustable seat and handlebar are important so that you can adjust it to better fit your height needs.
That way you will have a more comfortable ride on your mountain bike. Before making a decision, try making adjustments to the saddle height to see if it fits you. This will also reduce any pains caused by poor sitting position when riding.
The top tube runs between the handlebars and the seat of the bike. This is important to consider because you should be able to reach your handlebars comfortably without slouching too much. The reach of the top tubes will be different depending on the manufacturers. You should try out the bikes to ensure that it is comfortable enough to ride.
The wheel size of the mountain bike should also be considered. Most bike manufacturers make bikes for tall people with wheel sizes of 29”. You should choose the best wheel size so that you can get a smoother ride out of this bike. Now there are also two-wheel sizes that fit tall riders, the 29 inch, and 27.5-inch wheels. The wheel size you choose depends on what you are looking for and the kind of terrain you will be riding in.
When looking for a bike for a tall person, you also need to pay attention to the frame. The frame should be able to hold your weight and best suited for your height. Some of the best frame materials include steel and titanium. This is more preferred compared to aluminum because it won’t fatigue as long as the stresses remain at a certain level. The frame of the bike should be sturdy and stiff enough so that it lasts longer.
Because you are buying an XL size mountain bike you are sure it is going to be heavier than other bikes in the market. If you are getting a full-suspension bike that will add more weight to the bike. Hardtail bikes are more lightweight compared to full suspension bikes.
If you are still a beginner, you should go for a hardtail bike because the full suspension is for more experienced cyclists. Your bike shouldn’t be too heavy so that you can be easier to transport and place on your bike rack.
In conclusion, getting a bike for a tall person is a challenging task. You need to be sure that the size of the bike you are choosing is good for your height requirements. Most bikes for tall people usually have adjustable seats and handlebars so that they can fit the heights of different users.
On this list, there are 7 of the best mountain bikes for tall people that you can choose from and go back to enjoying mountain biking. You should get a bike that is not too heavy and has all the features of a fast and durable mountain bike.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the benefit of having a full-suspension bike?
Full suspension bikes are better suited to give your wheels better traction on the trails. With a full-suspension bike, you can easily ride corners, descents, and control the bike even when cycling in the mud or rocky sections.
Are dual-suspension bikes good?
Yes. They are very comfortable to ride on rough terrain for a smoother ride. They are good for cycling downhill and going off jumps. They are recommended for experienced cyclists.